Okaloosa County School District is committed to creating a seamless educational plan for all students whether they learn through a home education plan or at one of our many campuses.
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to maintain a portfolio of records and materials. They determine the content of the portfolio, preserve it for two (2) years, and make it available for inspection if requested, by the Superintendent or designee, upon fifteen (15) days' written notice. The District cannot recommend materials, curriculum, or in any way oversee a Home Education program.
The portfolio must consist of the following:
- A log of educational activities that designates by title any reading materials used.
- Samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the student.
Home Education students may participate in athletic/extracurricular activities as provided in School Board policies and procedures. They may also participate in regular classes, including career and technical courses and programs, at their zoned school or in a school that has capacity based on the District's Controlled Open Enrollment provision.
An annual educational evaluation must be completed (at the cost of the parent/guardian) and a copy submitted to the Office of Independent Learning. The first evaluation will be due one (1) year from the date of registration and then each year after that. The evaluation must consist of one of the following:
- A Florida certified teacher chosen by the parent may evaluate the child's progress based on a review of the portfolio and discussion with the student.
- The student may take any nationally-normed student achievement test administered by a certified teacher.
- The student may take a state student assessment test at a location and under testing conditions approved by the school district.
- The student may be evaluated by a psychologist holding a valid, active license pursuant to section 490.003 (7) or (8), F.S.
- The student may be evaluated with any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent.
Should a parent/guardian wish to terminate the Home Education program for any reason, they must file a written notice of termination with the school district within thirty (30) days of the termination date.
Although an email address is not required to register as a Home Education student, it is required if you choose to register online. If you do not wish to register online, you must submit a completed Letter of Intent to the Office of Independent Learning. You may use the Letter of Intent form found through the Forms link above or create your own.
Questions? Email email@example.com.