HRA/FSA Banner

Benefit Resources  |  Benefits Enrollment  |  UHC Medical  |  HRA/FSA  |  Delta Dental  |  EyeMed Vision  |  Standard Life Insurance  |  Symetra LTD  | Risk Management

Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)

The HRA is an employer Board paid contribution that can be used to reimburse a portion of you and your eligible family member's out-of-pocket medical, dental and vision expenses. This plan is an added benefit to your UnitedHealthcare (UHC) insurance. You are automatically enrolled in the plan if you elect medical coverage with the School District. You do not need to sign up for it. The HRA is a financial reimbursement plan funded entirely by your employer. Using the HRA allows you to have a reduced out-of-pocket expense without increasing your monthly premium.

The HRA account was originally set up January 1, 2005, and continues with the current plan year. Eligible expenses are expenses that are incurred while you are covered under the HRA.

If you have single health insurance through the district, then only your expenses are eligible for reimbursement. If you have family health insurance through the district, then everyone covered under your health plan through the district is covered.

Expenses eligible for reimbursement

  • Medical expenses - expenses that are covered under your group health insurance through the district are eligible for reimbursement if you are responsible for paying for a portion or all of the expense (deductible, co-pays, co-insurance).
  • Vision expenses - may also be reimbursed for limited vision expenses.
  • Dental expenses - may also be reimbursed for limited dental expenses.


As an employee and a covered participant under Okaloosa County School Districts Group Health Insurance Plan, you are a participant in the HRA plan. Funds are automatically loaded on January 1st on your Take Care Flex Benefits card for the entire plan year. If you have single health insurance coverage, your Board paid contribution is $750 which is loaded onto your Take Care Flex Benefits card. If you select Employee + Spouse or Employee + Child(ren) coverage, your Board paid contribution is $1,100 and loaded onto your card. Family coverage receives $1,500 per calendar year loaded onto your Take Care Flex Benefits card. If you have a balance remaining in your current HRA account that amount will roll into your account on January 1st of the following year. In order for you to be reimbursed through this account, you must submit receipts for eligible expenses. Eligible expenses for reimbursement are those expenses that take place while you are covered under the HRA.

If you terminate employment with the Okaloosa County School District and you still have funding in your HRA account, you will have a 90-day grace period to file claims for reimbursement. Eligible expenses would be those expenses that were incurred while you were covered under the group health insurance through the school district.

Flexible Spending Account(FSA)

The FSA enables employees of the school district to save tax dollars on payroll-deducted insurance premiums and also set aside dollars to pay for out-of-pocket medical, dental, and vision expenses on a pretax basis. This plan also allows employees to pay for their dependent care expenses on a tax-free basis. This is a free benefit offered to full-time employees of the school district and each year eligible employees have the opportunity to make their own elections for this plan.

The Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is an option in the Cafeteria Plan. The Cafeteria Plan runs on a calendar year basis, January 1st through December 31st of each year. Prior to the start of each plan year, the school district holds its open enrollment period. This is the time period each year that employees can make or change their FSA elections. Most insurance products that are offered to employees of the district are eligible to be run through the Cafeteria Plan. By making the election to have your insurance premiums go through the Cafeteria Plan you are saving federal withholding tax and FICA tax on the cost of that insurance product. In normal payroll situations, an employee's gross pay is subject to federal and FICA tax. But with an FSA and a Cafeteria Plan in place employees are able to pay for their insurance plans prior to taxes being calculated on their income.

Two Spending Accounts Are Offered:

  • Flexible Spending Account (FSA) - allows employees to set aside money on a pre-tax basis to be used to pay for the employee and their eligible dependents out of pocket medical, dental, and vision expenses for the plan year. During open enrollment each year the employee needs to think ahead about the coming plan year and carefully estimate what they think their out-of-pocket expense will be for that time span. The total amount that the employee estimates is divided by the number of paychecks that the employee receives in a year and that amount is taken out of each check prior to being taxed. Once the plan year begins, the employee will be able to be reimbursed for these types of expenses. To utilize a flexible spending account (FSA) for Healthcare Reimbursement you must enroll each year. If you would like to enroll for 2022, you must go online to Your FSA may be used to fund your out-of-pocket medical, dental, or vision expenses with pre-tax dollars. The maximum annual FSA contribution is $2,750 per employee, per plan year.
  • Dependent Care Assistance Program - allows for employees to estimate the cost of their dependent care for the coming plan year and pay for it in the same method as the Healthcare Reimbursement Account. To utilize a flexible spending account (FSA) for Dependent Care Reimbursement you must enroll each year. If you would like to enroll or make changes for 2022, you must go online to The annual amount you can contribute is $5,000 per household, per plan year. As this may impact your ability to take a child tax credit, you may want to consult a tax advisor/professional prior to electing this benefit.

Use It or Lose It

There is a "use it or lose it" rule that is part of the Internal Revenue Services rules that govern how these plans operate, so employees should be cautious when doing their estimate for the year and only set aside money for things they are certain will happen. Once the plan year ends, employees have a 90-day grace period to file claims for that plan year that just ended. The 90-day grace period does not allow you to incur additional expenses for the previous year; it simply allows you to file claims, if you still have a balance remaining in your account. Employees participating in health FSAs will be allowed to carry over - instead of forfeiting - up to $550 of unused amounts remaining at year-end.


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I check my balance?

What can I spend my money on?

  • HRA: any medical or prescription that is applied towards your deductible. Also, for vision it can be used for an eye exam, the purchase of prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses, as well as contact lenses. You can also use it for most dental expenses with the exception of teeth whitening and orthodontics.
  • FSA: Medical, prescription, dental & vision.

Can I use my card for dental & vision?

  • HRA: No, the card cannot be used for dental or vision. However, you can file a paper claim and get reimbursed.
  • FSA: Yes.

Do funds roll over?

  • HRA: all funds roll over as long as you are enrolled under this employer’s medical insurance.
  • FSA: up to $550 of your funds roll over into the new year.

Do I have to sign up every year?

  • HRA: As long as you are under this employer’s medical insurance, you will receive money in your HRA on the first of the year.
  • FSA: Yes, you do have to enroll in the Flexible Spending Account every year, even if you want everything to stay the same.

Do I get a new card every year?

  • Your card is good for 3 years and if applicable, money will be loaded onto the same card every year until the expiration date that is printed on the front of the card.

What do I do if I lost my card?

  • You will need to contact your account representative at 800.530.7222.

How do I activate my card?

  • You will have to call the number on the Card and enter the 16-digit card number and the last four numbers of your SSN. Please listen carefully to the menu options and make sure you type in the numbers correctly.

What happens if I terminate?

  • You will have 90 days to file a paper claim for expenses that were incurred on or before your termination date.

How do I submit a claim?

  • You can submit a claim on the website, or you can also send the claim to us via email (, fax (228.769.0401), or mail (P.O. Box 1688, Pascagoula, MS 39568).

How will I get reimbursed?

  • A check will be sent to you within 7 - 10 business days of us receiving your claim.

What should I do if I can’t log in to the website?

  • You can call our toll-free number (800.530.7222) and somebody will be able to assist you with resetting your account.

Questions and Concerns

If you have questions about covered expenses, please contact Risk Management.

If you have questions regarding your HRA/FSA Plans, please write or call:

90 Degree Benefits
P.O. Box 1688
Pascagoula, MS 39568
Phone 228.762.2500
Phone 800.530.7222
Fax 228.769.0401

To view your "Visa - Flex Benefits" card account balance, please visit