The Okaloosa County School District Professional Development Department strives to provide high-quality professional learning activities for all educators and para-professionals whose end goals are to increase student achievement and ensure rigorous curriculum and instructional methods are in place every day in every classroom to produce college and career ready students.
Okaloosa County School District Professional Development Vision:
All stakeholders in the Okaloosa County School District share a collective responsibility to participate in continuous professional learning resulting in highly skilled, knowledgeable, and committed educators and ensuring that all students achieve and sustain high standards of learning.
Okaloosa County School District Professional Development Mission:
The Okaloosa County School District is committed to improving student learning by providing professional development activities that are research-based, relevant to state, district, and participant needs, sustained over time, and incorporate technology so that each participant may, in turn, provide rigorous instruction that challenges students’ thinking in an effort to prepare each for college and career.
Okaloosa County School District Professional Development Beliefs:
- The goal of professional learning is to improve teaching and maximize learning.
- Professional development uses a variety of approaches to accomplish its goals and includes ongoing support and time for practice.
- Professional learning opportunities are provided within the contractual day, as well as other times beyond the school day and year.
- Professional development provides a structure for implementing innovations related to the district’s goals and guiding principles.
- Professional development is driven by a long-range plan that focuses on individual, teams, and district needs through continuous improvement.
- Professional development provides opportunities for individuals to learn and work together cooperatively, ensuring that an equitable and quality education is provided to all learners. Professional development requires money, strong building and district leadership, time, and human resources to provide meaningful opportunities for all learners.
- Professional development recognizes that change is a process, not an event. Time is needed to initiate, implement, and institutionalize improvement.
- Athletic Coaching/ ESOL/Gifted/Reading Endorsement Add-On Programs
- Master In-service Plan: See link below
- Schedule of District Professional Learning Activities - Please refer to www.mylearningplan.com for a schedule of district and school-based activities.
Professional Development delivers rigorous research-based, field-tested learning experiences, programs, and resources for Okaloosa teachers, administrators, and Educational Support personnel, in order to increase student academic achievement. These opportunities help staff stay current
on the latest research in their field, increase their on-the-job effectiveness and satisfaction, and prepare them for career advancement.
- SB1108: Teaching Students with Disabilities (TAP)
- Florida Professional Development Protocol Standards
- Tuition Fee Waiver (FLDOE Memo)
Curriculum and Instruction Office Contacts
Denise McLaughlin, Specialist, Staff Development
Lori Hupp, Secretary
202A North Highway 85
Niceville, Florida 32578